Orthopedic surgeons treat all aspects of the muscular-skeletal system. Typically,orthopedic surgeons treat complicated issues that specifically involve the bones,muscles,tendons,ligaments,and soft tissues. Some specialize in specific areas like the foot and ankle,or the knee,hip,spine and elbow,as well as the hand and shoulder.
What Do Foot and Ankle Surgeons Do?
Orthopedic surgeons specializing in treating foot and ankle problems provide comprehensive medical,as well as surgical,care for a variety of foot and ankle conditions. These treatments range from simple to complex disorders and injuries. An orthopedic surgeon deals with people of all ages and is in a unique position to detect early signs of disease that manifest in the lower extremities.
Diseases like diabetes,arthritis,and cardiovascular disease often exhibit warning signs in the lower extremities,especially the feet. These specialists also manage foot conditions that pose an ongoing threat to a patient’s health.
Typical Orthopedic Procedures
Orthopedic surgeons also perform a number of procedures that include:
- Arthroscopy â Uses a camera to see inside a joint.
- Fusion â Uses rods to fuse bones together.
- Internal Fixation â Holds broken bones together with plates,screws,or pins.
- Osteotomy â Corrects a bone deformity by cutting and repositioning said bone.
- Joint Replacement â Removes a damaged joint and replaces it with an artificial joint.
- Soft Tissue Repair â Repairs tendons and/or ligaments.
If you need an orthopedic surgeon for your foot or ankle,look for an Orthopedic surgeon who specializes in foot and ankle surgeries in New York. A good foot and ankle surgeon will provide the expertise to perform any relevant procedure giving you confidence,peace of mind,and improved health. Learn more aboutNew York orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon here.